Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Living in the ocean


Sometimes San Francisco doesn't feel like California at all. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like you're on land. As Rob likes to point out: "It's like we're living in the ocean."

I made this mobile for Rob - as a birthday present. I think it adds an extra dimension to the fog.


Some of the yarn came from Goodwill, some from Scrap, and the rest was purchased at Cliff's Variety on Castro. The squid and jellyfish were patterns of my own making, while the octopus and sea vegetable were taken from Wunderkammer patterns found at the Curiosity Shoppe.

I collected the branches in the woods of Rogue River, Oregon (in my sister's backyard) and sanded them by hand. The crochet needles were given to me by my dear, lovely Grandmother, who likes to talk about the weather.